Looking for a virtual adoptive parent support group? Join me for adoption education, resource recommendations, parenting tips & suggestions, & more – your questions will direct the discussion! Fee: $25 per household. Complete the registration form to secure your spot!
Enrollment is open for the Summer 2021 Adoptive Parent Virtual Journal Weekend!
ADOPTIVE PARENT VIRTUAL JOURNAL WEEKEND FAQ’S:
- Group members must identify as adoptive caregivers, reside within the U.S. & be at least 18 years of age when the group begins.
- The virtual journal weekend will be held on July 23rd, 24th & 25th (Friday, Saturday & Sunday) from 9AM-12PM-Pacific/10AM-1PM-Mountain/11AM-2PM-Central/12PM-3PM-Eastern each day. Enrolled members are expected to attend all days.
- The enrollment fee is $390 per household; this includes access to all groups and journal materials. All members will receive both an electronic and hard copy of the journal prior to the group.
- Group discussion topics will follow the chapters of “The Adoptive Parent Self-Reflection Journal.” Day 1 discussion topics will be prompts from chapters 1-3, Day 2 will be chapters 4-7, and Day 3 will be chapters 8-10.
Day 1 (July 23rd):
- Chapter 1: In the Beginning – We’ll explore your earliest introductions to adoption, how your perceptions of family have grown & what you wish you had known about being an adoptive caregiver.
- Chapter 2: Beliefs – We’ll discuss how your beliefs about adoption have evolved, what you & your children have lost/gained through adoption & how your perceptions influence discussions with your child on adoption-related topics.
- Chapter 3: Wishes & What If’s – We’ll discuss your curiosities, wishes, hopes & all of the big “what if’s” for yourself & your child related to your adoption experience.
Day 2 (July 24th):
- Chapter 4: Perspective Letters – We’ll consider how it would feel to write to and receive letters from your child as an adult or their first family members, exploring a wide range of perspectives, hopes & fears.
- Chapter 5: Family – We’ll explore roles & relationship dynamics within your adoptive family.
- Chapter 6: Special Days – We’ll discuss how birthdays, adoption anniversaries, Mother’s/Father’s Day & other significant days may affect you & your child.
- Chapter 7: Relationships – We’ll talk about how your adoptive parent identity influences your sense of trust, belonging, significance & confidence in relationships & the larger world.
Day 3 (July 25th):
- Chapter 8: Boundaries – We’ll discuss how it feels when others ask about your family’s adoption experiences & how you choose to respond or set boundaries.
- Chapter 9: The Media – We’ll explore how you are affected by depictions of adoptees on TV, movies, books & public arenas, & how these portrayals may impact your child.
- Chapter 10: Closing Thoughts – We’ll take time to summarize concepts discussed & consider how they can be applied to your life to improve your relationship with your adoptive children.
- Day 1 (July 23rd):
Complete this form to enroll! Registration closes July 15, 2021.
*CURRENTLY ONLY ACCEPTING NEW CLIENTS FOR SUMMER GROUPS & EVALUATIONS – INDIVIDUAL COUNSELING SERVICES ARE FULL*
Adoption is complex, and you deserve to work with a professional who can help you understand and support the adoptee in your life to the best of your ability. I have a literal lifetime of experience with adoption – as an international and transracial adoptee from India, adoptive parent to a son from Ethiopia, & professional who has worked in the adoption community since 2002.
I offer a range of services for prospective adoptive parents, current adoptive parents & family members of adoptees:
- Adoption Advice Consultations (phone/virtual- 50 min – $95) – for pre/adoptive caregivers or family members in any U.S. location seeking one-time or occasional consultation for educational support and resources
- Pre-Adoption Evaluations (in-person/virtual- length and fees vary depending upon requirements) – psychological testing & interviews as required by agencies/countries to receive approval to adopt a child (only available in certain states, see list below)
- Counseling (in-person/virtual- 50 min-$160 or 25 min-$80) – ongoing support for pre/adoptive caregivers or family members (only available in certain states, see list below)
I provide consultations to adoptive parents & family members who reside anywhere in the U.S., & am licensed to provide counseling & evaluation services to those who reside in the following states, which are part of the PSYPACT interstate compact:
Arizona (ages 18+, virtual services only)
Colorado (ages 15+, in-person & virtual services available)
Delaware (ages 18+, virtual services only)
District of Columbia (ages 18+, virtual services only)
Georgia (ages 18+, virtual services only)
Illinois (ages 18+, virtual services only)
Missouri (ages 18+, virtual services only)
Nebraska (ages 18+, virtual services only)
Nevada (ages 18+, virtual services only)
New Hampshire (ages 18+, virtual services only)
North Carolina (ages 18+, virtual services only)
Oklahoma (ages 18+, virtual services only)
Pennsylvania (ages 18+, virtual services only)
Texas (ages 18+, virtual services only)
Utah (ages 18+, virtual services only)
Virginia (ages 18+, virtual services only)
Contact us to request an appointment!